Visa Process for China

Here's a bit of the ridiculously lengthy Z visa process I have to go through for becoming an English Second Language (ESL) Teacher in China:

Step 1: Notarize your degree by contacting your University and using their notary.

Step 2: Get a background check and have it notarized.

Step 3: If you're bringing a spouse get your marriage license notarized.

Step 4: Get a Letter of Congress for each document from your local probate court.

Step 5: Mail it to your Secretary of State along with payment.

Step 6: Fill out the Authentication form for the Chinese embassy that you have to go to for your state.

Step 7: Go the embassy to hand them these forms.

Step 8: Return to the embassy to retrieve documents and pay fees.

Step 9: Scan documents and send them to your recruiter (the person who works for the company your teaching for).

Step 10: Wait for your work permit to be processed and mailed to you.

Step 11: Return to the embassy with the permit and Z visa paperwork. You may have to also be interviewed.

Step 12: When the visa comes in,  go pick it up from the embassy and pay fees.  

*Step 13: If you have a spouse you have to bring your Z visa and permit to the embassy with the S visa paperwork.

*Step 14: Return to the embassy to pick up the visa and pay fees.

I'm on step 10. Unfortunately, it'll take up to a month for my visa to get here. My departure date is set for April 18 but I don't think the visa will arrive by then. My recruiter is great and will probably push my arrival date back.

Wish me luck!  

By Vanity Washington

So Many Questions

Who would have thought that tattoos could lead to more than ink?